Something you definitely don’t want to do as a MedSpa owner is overlook the importance of a successful initial consultation with a prospective patient. The first consultation is your first impression and if it doesn’t go well, that patient may choose to not purchase with you. You want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible.
So, what are the elements of a perfect consultation?
Setting the Space
The first step is making sure your space is set up for success. You want your space, the room where the consultation takes place, to be warm and inviting, and allow the patient to feel at ease from the moment they step foot through the door.
Some things to think about adding to your consultation room are:
- Dim, relaxing lighting (you can raise the brightness level when you do the assessment)
- Water, coffee, tea, or other beverage options
- Soft, relaxing spa music
- Service menus or brochures that offer information about the treatment they are being consulted on. (they can browse them while they’re waiting for the provider)
- Robes or options to change into if you’ll need to do a full body assessment
- An essential oil diffuser with a soothing scent
When the client feels calm and at ease upon stepping into the consultation room, any doubts or anxieties they may have regarding the treatment are likely to dissipate.
Be in the Know
Another important element of setting up your consultation for success is to be prepared for any and all questions the patient may have. You want to make sure that you know the treatment inside and out because you never know what the patient may ask. If you don’t have an answer to any given question, it could cause the patient to lack confidence in your expertise and reconsider if they want to purchase a treatment from you.
Don’t Leave Anything Unsaid
Having a mental checklist of everything you need to inform the patient of during the consultation is a great way to make sure nothing is left unsaid. Some important things to remember to point out during the consultation could be:
- About how many treatments the patient would need to achieve their desired results
- How long the treatment session will take
- Any kind of prep the patient needs to do before the treatment
- What type of clothes they should wear to the treatment
- What to expect during the treatment (what it will feel like, if they should bring things to occupy their time like a book, etc)
- Any aftercare that may be necessary for the treatment
- Any possible side effects that may occur after the treatment
It also helps to have all of these things typed out on a sheet that you can give to the patient when they leave the consultation. That way they have something to reference should they forget anything that’s said during the consultation.
Also, make sure you leave enough time at the end of the consultation for the patient to ask any other questions that they have. Even if it’s something you’ve already described and they just need it reiterated, it’s important that they feel like they know everything they need to know and feel prepared and comfortable with the treatment.
A Great Place to Start
There are other elements to creating the perfect consultation experience for all your prospective patients, however, these first few things are crucially important in setting the tone for the rest of the consultation and making sure you close that sale!
Stay tuned for our next installment of Elements of the Perfect Consultation! We have more exciting and important information to share with you!
Contact Everable Medspa Accelerator if you want more help in growing your medspa in 2023!